Thursday, November 19, 2009

A LITTLE ADOLESCENT BOY HUMOR TO BRIGHTEN YOUR DAY

11/19/09

In my post of 11/3/09 (See “ANOTHER GREAT WRITER EMERGES FROM THE SOUTH SIDE”), I reprinted what I thought was perhaps the greatest letter to the editor of all time, which I had stumbled across in that day’s Chicago Sun-Times. Apparently, the Sun-Times has done it again. In today’s edition, I found perhaps the funniest and/or most ironic local news story of all time. (Okay, okay…I know it wasn’t all that funny for the victim, I’m glad my wife and/or one of my daughters was not the victim, I’m happy that none of you was the victim, and I’m especially glad that I was not the victim. But tell me with a straight face that you didn’t laugh out loud after reading this short news story.) I reprint it almost in its entirety, leaving out only the last sentence, “Both charges he faces are misdemeanors.” only to emphasize the line that gives the story its ironic humor:

“N.W. Side cabbie allegedly exposed himself to woman

A Northwest Side cab driver has been charged with public indecency and assault after allegedly exposing himself to a woman exiting his cab in the Austin neighborhood earlier this month.
Badri Hassan, 36, grabbed the woman’s arm and exposed himself at the intersection of West Ohio and North Laramie Avenue on Nov. 8, according to police.
Hassan, of the 4000 block of West Cullom, works for Flash Cab.”

The Chicago Tribune is a great paper, as are the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, but I suspect that none of those papers would have felt the Sun-Times’ compulsion to identify Mr. Hassan’s employer.

No comments: