Tuesday, November 3, 2009

ANOTHER GREAT WRITER EMERGES FROM THE SOUTH SIDE

11/3/09


Today I read perhaps the greatest letter to the editor in the history of such missives and found it imperative to share the letter, and my feelings thereon, with both the readers of both the Chicago Sun-Times and the Insightful Pontificator:


11/3/09

In today’s Sun-Times, I read what is possibly concurrently both the funniest and the saddest, and perhaps the greatest, letter in the history of letters to the editor in any paper, the following letter from Kevin Duffin, who resides in my old neighborhood, Morgan Park:

“I agree wholeheartedly with Alderman Carrie Austin—aldermen should not be subjected to a search when they enter the city’s central headquarters for administrative hearings. They should be subjected to a search when they leave.”

I don’t know what Mr. Duffin does for a living, but the stand-up stage, or the world of punditry, is calling.

Congratulations, Mr. Duffin!


Mark Quinn
Naperville

4 comments:

Jim Desmond said...

terrific.

Mighty Quinn said...

Thanks, Jim. Doesn't that letter writer perfectly encapsulate the way things work here in Chicago?
The man is a genius!

Reid said...

I walked out of the Marquette Inn on Madison on Tuesday chuckling to myself about this letter. I love that Diane the waitress always hands me a Sun Times to make my day brighter an d out of teh rut of the Journal, NYT and Tribune. It is the best read of the week.

Reid

Mighty Quinn said...

Absolutely. One can't understand Chicago politics, or Chicago, without reading the Sun-Times. Don't get me wrong; I like the Trib, but the Trib fancies itself a national paper, but it's not. The problem is that it sacrifices local coverage to pursue that seemingly hopeless aspiration.
Neil Steinberg, Carol Marin, Jack Higgins, Mike Sneed,and letter writers like Mr. Duffin make the Sun-Times a highlight of my day and a must read for anyone who wants to understand the city. And I know Mark Brown is no John Kass, but that doesn't mean Mr. Brown is not an outstanding columnist.
Diane the waitress, doubtless one of the people who gives the greatest city in the world its character, knows a good paper when she sees, and promotes, one!
Thanks, Reid.