Thursday, February 13, 2014

QUINN ON OBAMACARE, R.J. VANECKO, CAR SALES, AND PETE SEEGER

2/7/14

I put up only four posts at Rant Lifestyle this week , but the range of topics was wide and the quality of writing was spectacular, is I can say so myself….


OBAMACARE AND WORK FORCE PARTICIPATION:  “I’LL WORK FOR YOU, I’LL SLAVE FOR YOU…”
This isn’t necessarily a pro-Obamacare piece, but the Republicans ought to be very careful about which aspects of the Affordable Care Act they attack.  Once the label of “Obamacare” is removed, many of the provisions of this law are very popular …and deservedly so. 

THE CURIOUS CASE OF R.J. VANECKO:   JUSTICE DELAYED…AND DENIED…CHICAGO STYLE
The Chicago articles are not so popular in a nationwide site like Rant Lifestyle, but I’ll continue to write about Chicago politics as long as my mind and fingers work.   This particular article is one of the best I have ever written, by the way.


January Car Sales:  “I Ain’t Got Time To Discuss The Weather, Or How Long It’s Gonna Last…”
This is one of those articles that could conceivably make you some money.  Most of the experts were way too enthusiastic about car sales coming into this year and now are blaming the weather.  We shall see.


Pete Seeger:   “Just Talk About Folk Music And Civil Rights And They’re Yours!”
Was Pete Seeger a hero, a hypocrite, a fraud, or a visionary?   Remember, only speak well of the recently dead.  And I have to tell you that, since Mr. Seeger died, I can get neither Trini Lopez’s version of “If I Had a Hammer” nor the great Johnny Rivers’ version of “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?” out of my head.


The weather has not only been abominable but has kept us away from Iowa City, our daughter, and live Hawkeye basketball.  Our boys face the Wolverines this weekend in Iowa City, but we’ll have to watch on television.   The money we save by staying home acts as a salve, though.


Have a great weekend.

See my two books, The Chairman, A Novel of Big City Politics and The Chairman’s Challenge, A Continuing Novel of Big City Politics, for further illumination on how things work in Chicago and Illinois politics. 

No comments: