Thursday, February 13, 2014

QUINN ON CHICAGO SNOW, PRIUS RECALLS, DOOM AND GLOOM, DAN RUTHERFORD, AND THE OLYMPICS

2/13/14

I don’t know where I’m finding the time to do all this writing, but I realize that if I don’t write I don’t feel right (no pun intended), so I make the time.   This week featured an eclectic batch of posts…

A QUICK SOLUTIONS FOR ALL THAT SNOW IN CHICAGO
Here’s a sure fire way for the city of Chicago to get enough salt for a winter with 500, 600, or even 1,000 inches of snow.

TOYOTA RECALLS 1.9 MILLION PRII:  WHAT’S GOIN’ ON?
Toyota and its shareholders need not worry about this problem, but all hybrid manufacturers may soon face a challenge that few are discussing.

DEATH, DOOM, AND DESPAIR?   YOU’VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
While I have little confidence in anyone’s, including my own, ability to make good market and/or economic calls, the economy makes me nervous.  Here I present seven, or maybe six and a half, reasons for concern.

SALACIOUS SEX CHARGES IN THE ILLINOIS PRIMARY…AND IT’S STILL NOT INTERESTING
Regardless of their degree of veracity, these lurid tales of Dan Rutherford’s alleged extracurricular activities are attracting attention to the GOP “race” for the gubernatorial nomination.  But even these stories can’t make the race interesting.

THE SOCHI GAMES:   “YOU CAN’T EXPECT A BUNCH OF IGNORANT PEONS TO UNDERSTAND SOMETHING AS COMPLEX AS (THE OLYMPICS)”
The editors renamed this piece, but do you remember General Buck Turgidson from Dr. Strangelove, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb? (yours truly’s third favorite movie of all time, by the way) The American media sound like him when they comment on the Sochi Games.

I haven’t been to the Auto Show yet this year; the days of four or more visits to that outstanding exhibition are long behind me.  But when I get there, I may have some more material.

Everybody have a good weekend and enjoy the Olympics.  Until I met my wife, I wouldn’t have spent five minutes watching the Games…and now I’m a fan.  It’s amazing what the love of a good woman can do to a guy.


And, speaking of…happy and blessed Valentine’s Day to you and yours.

See my two books, The Chairman, A Novel of Big City Politics and The Chairman’s Challenge, A Continuing Novel of Big City Politics, for further illumination on how things work in Chicago and Illinois politics. 

No comments: