Friday, February 28, 2014

QUINN ON MICHELLE OBAMA, RICK PERRY, NEW PLANETS, UKRAINE, AND THE OLYMPICS

2/28/14

Years ago, someone described one of my earlier blogs as being “eclectic,” which is a great word and ideally suited to describe the range of topics I tend to cover in my writing and in the course of my daily discourse.  I try to remain interested and conversant in a number of subjects, and this is one of the few endeavors in which I have largely succeeded in my life.

Now that yours truly has nearly broken his arm patting himself on the back, here is evidence of my eclecticity…this week’s posts on Rant Lifestyle (a site, I suspect, most people “read” for the pictures, as many of you have observed):

SAME SEX MARRIAGE IN TEXAS AND THE TYRANNY OF THE MAJORITY
Contrary to popular belief, the essence of the Constitution is not “majority rules.”   At least in America, we believe, or at least used to believe, that rights are given by God and therefore are not subject to revocation by the voters.

NASA FINDS NEW PLANETS:  ARE THE ALIEN INVADERS ON THEIR WAY?
As many of you know, I am a lifelong devotee of The Twilight Zone, simply the best series in the history of television.  Admittedly, this is a low bar, but I digress.  At any rate, this enthusiasm for TZ shows in this post.

MICHELLE OBAMA TO KIDS:   YOU’LL GET WHAT I SAY YOU’LL GETAND LIKE IT!
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it forever:  a politician with a messianic complex is far more dangerous than a pol with his hand in the till.

A UKRAINIAN SPRING? 
Sadly, this one’s coming true even as I write this.

2014 SOCHI WINTER OLYMPICS:  WE OWE THE RUSSIANS AN APOLOGY
Given my recent surfeit of Olympics posts, I was concerned about what I’d do for material when they ended.  Judging from this week, my fears were unfounded.

Have a great weekend, everybody.  More snow and it looks like more futility from the Hawkeyes, but maybe a resurgent Illini.


No comments: