Wednesday, September 22, 2010

MARK QUINN APPEARING AT NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE, LISLE STATION MUSEUMS

9/22/10

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I will be appearing on Wednesday, September 29 at 7:30 PM at North Central College in Naperville to discuss Chicago politics and my two novels, The Chairman, A Novel of Big City Politics and The Chairman’s Challenge, A Continuing Novel of Big City Politics. My presentation will take place in Smith Hall in the Old Main Building, 30 N. Brainard, Naperville, 60540. We should have a good crowd, but you could make it better! I’ll have copies of original Chairman for sale; The Chairman’s Challenge is so new that I won’t be able to have copies ready for sale that evening. I will, of course, be happy to autograph any copies of either novel.

I will also be appearing on Saturday, October 2 at 4:00 PM at the Museums of Lisle Station Park to discuss the same topics, with perhaps a bit more emphasis on my books. My lecture will be part of an ongoing series on Chicago books that includes such notable authors as (and naming only a few)

--Dean Milano (September 25, noon), a Chicago musician, discussing his book The Chicago Music Scene: The 1960s and 1970s.

--Dominic Pacyga (October 9, noon), a fellow Columbia faculty member, discussing his book, Chicago: A Biography. Years ago, I took a mini-course on Chicago neighborhoods from Dominic. He is both knowledgeable and entertaining.

--Karen Kruse (October 9, 4:00 PM) discussing her book Chicago Firehouse: Stories of Wrigleyville’s Engine 78.

--Ann Durkin Keating (October 16, noon), a North Central College history professor, on her book Chicagoland: City and Suburbs in the Railroad Age.

--Liam Ford (October 23, noon), who wrote the fascinating Soldier Field: A Stadium and its City, which touches on many of the points in my book.

--Ursula Bielski (October 23, 4:00 PM), founder of “Chicago Hauntings,” discussing ghostly phenomena in Chicago and it environs and her new book There’s Something Under the Bed: Children’s Experiences with the Paranormal. Those who listen to Coast to Coast on WLS (and on many talk stations throughout the country. Coast to Coast is one of my guilty pleasures on the few nights I can stay up late enough to listen to it.) may have heard Ursula. I’ve read Ursula’s book Chicago Haunts; she’s a great writer who can tell some very chilling tales.

--Urbanologist Joseph Schwieterman and writer Alan Mammoser (October 30, 4:00 PM) discussing Beyond Burnham: An Illustrated History of Planning for the Chicago Region.

I look forward to this series and hope to see you at my presentation and at least a few of the others. The Museums of Lisle Station Park are located at 921 School Street in downtown Lisle.

Thanks.

No comments: