Wednesday, May 19, 2010

THE HALL OF OVERUSED (AND OUGHT TO BE RETIRED) WORDS, PART III

5/19/10

In my 2/17/10 and 2/19/10 posts, I initiated what I predicted would become a regular feature of the Insightful Pontificator, THE HALL OF OVERUSED (AND OUGHT TO BE RETIRED) WORDS. While it may appear to my readers that this feature has gone into hibernation, something in today’s Chicago Sun-Times has caused the Hall to be roused from its sleep.

Ironically, or perhaps clairvoyantly, my 2/19/10 post closed with

“At least the President didn’t say that he “literally will not rest” until the economy is once again robust.”

because in today’s paper, the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, the President’s erstwhile spiritual advisor, is quoted as saying, in a letter in which he refused to help the president of one of the many organizations trying to cop its share of the federal dollars intended to be spent on Haitian relief but that will, predictably, largely wind up in the pockets of the politically connected,

“I am ‘radioactive,’ Sir. When Obama threw me under the bus, he threw me under the bus literally!”

Is that right? So Barack Obama physically picked up Jeremiah Wright and tossed him under the wheels of an oncoming bus? And Jeremiah Wright lived to tell us about the president-to-be’s nefarious deed? The Reverend must have a tighter connection to the Creator than even he advertises!

No comments: