Wednesday, August 11, 2010

WHO NEEDS FRESH THINKING WHEN YOU CAN HAVE A CLICHÉ MACHINE?

8/11/10

Today’s Chicago Sun-Times reports that Desiree Rogers, former White House social secretary, wife of investment impresario John Rogers, and serial corporate bigwig, has landed the job of CEO of Johnson Publishing in Chicago, nice work if one can get it. Ms. Roger’s complete lack of experience in the publishing business is no problem; as Ms. Rogers explains:

I’ve been a generalist all of my career, focused on taking brands to the next level and integrating all of a company’s functional expertise under one roof to move forward.”

In my many years of reading and listening to such corporate logorrhea (Remember I once worked for a major Chicago bank the management of which consisted almost entirely of McKinsey alums.), I have never heard anyone pack so many meaningless clichés into one sentence.

I used to think that Ms. Rogers, whose talents in any functional area are decidedly limited, got every big time post she has gotten solely because of her connections. But I am apparently wrong; not only does Ms. Rogers know everybody, she is the undisputed master of corporate gobbledygook. What more does one need in today’s corporate world?

No comments: